Follow

Voyeurism in journalism and social media

Leave a Comment
After seeing a BBC feature online, asking the question, 'Is it now okay to photograph oneself at the scene of tragedy?', I felt compelled to write this. For me, the answer is a definite, no. But in this age of digital communication and social media, it's easy to see why this question needs to be asked.

My response to this question actually lies within my feelings towards journalism in general, and how, as an entire industry that revolves around human stories, feelings and emotions, I sometimes feel that it can probe sometimes just a step too far.

Some things need to be private. And personally, I think that anyone should be allowed to deal with a tragic, upsetting, or frightening incident completely in private, if they wish to do so. Of course, some people like to share these personal moments, and find reaching out and speaking about personal issues somewhat of a relief.

And so for me, the notion of 'taking a selfie' at the scene of an accident, a national disaster, or anything else similar, encapsulates the voyeurism inherent within social media, and the damaging effects. Social media is such a prevalent force in our lives nowadays, that I'm sure many people wouldn't think twice about taking selfies near a distressing scene that's been in the news. But I think that sometimes, maybe, it would be a good idea to put privacy back in the mix, and let these things unfold without the voyeuristic glare of social media, or the constant online comment.

The BBC article referenced the Eweran shrine in Bangkok, the site of a deadly bomb attack, alongside people taking selfies with the site in the background.

For me, this is social media at it's worst.

Some moments are meant to be taken in in privacy. Our constant obsession with documenting the moment, proving we were there, that we saw that thing, we went to this place, can so easily overtake being there, in the moment, and taking in the enormity of the event, especially if it is the scene of a tragedy.

In 2012, I was in New York, and visited the World Trade Center memorial ground, and it was incredibly emotional and moving. The sheer force of what happened on that day, and the hundred of thousands of people affected, really hit home. And it's something that didn't need to be documented, or captured with my phone, just felt. It only felt right that the surroundings and the enormity of the memorial were treated with the respect and reverence it deserved, without being up on my social media within seconds of me getting there, just to show that I was there, or to put myself amongst the news.

Something is being lost in our constant desire to let everyone else on social media know what we're doing. The immediacy of being in the moment, and actually taking in our surroundings and their meaning. And if the scene of a horrendous attack, the scene where many people lost their lives and others were changed irrevocably, can not be private and sacred, then what can?
SHARE:
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

I'm Amy, I'm 21, and I've set up this blog as my own little outlet to discuss everything and anything that interests me. It'll mostly consist of food, travel, books and opinion pieces. Hope you enjoy and stay a while!
PREMIUM BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig